- How much variation do we acknowledge in our transcriptions? How much consistency do we require? What are the inadequacies of IPA notations for marking tone, and what can be done to address these? Keith, Keren, David, Boyd
- What are the best ways to use F0 traces in studying a tone language? Could the F0 traces be stylized automatically? What new computational methods exist for working with F0? What laboratory-based technologies will we be able to take into the field? How will we use web-based speech analysis tools once they become available?, Dafydd, John, Jiahong, Heriberto, Ian, Tony, Alexis, David K, Martine, Maria
- How could we compile a database of tone exercises? (and build enthusiasm for tone studies amongst a new generation of students) Should we show students transcriptions with vowels and diacritics, or show them a separate representation of prosodic information?) What preparation should students have before being sent to the field (specifically in connection with tone languages)? What training do they need re interactions between F0, length, etc? How do we deal with discrepancies between our observations and the published literature? Bert, Emiliana, Fanny, Lev, Graham, Jeff, Dominic
- What makes up a tone? What should we do when pitch patterns interact with other phenomena such as phonation, duration, and nasalization? (When should one be prioritized? Should they be treated as a package? How does that help? What do we do when speakers differ in their use of the phonetic features in realizing a single phonological category? What about interactions between contour tones and length? What controls help us identify the invariants? Could creaky voice be an incidental property of low pitch?) Mark, Liberty, Florian, Tyler, Jim, Chundra
- How do we establish the density of tonal specification? (How many F0 targets per TBU, per melody, or per morpheme?) Jonathan, Kristine, Steven, Larry
- How do we make descriptions of tone in different language families more comparable?
- What does tone orthography (and the success of its uptake) tell us about a tone language? (Do any tone orthographies preserve an earlier state of the language, to the point where this causes problems?)